Thursday, 27 March 2014

Power Loader



Power Loader

This was one of the very first detailed models i created, with only limited experience using Cinema 4D. With my keen eye for detail I was able to create a reasonably detailed replica of James Camerons Power Loader from Aliens, I intend to use this in my Resident Evil Vs Aliens Mashup Game (Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHp9PE6PK6U)





Claw:

  • First of all I began with creating the loaders 'Claw'. This was done by creating three basic rectangle shapes, two exactly the same size and the last slightly shorter. This would give me the basic layout of my claw.

  • After the sizes of the claw were complete, I began adding detail. I began by using the  structure>knife tool to cut out the two identical rectangles to create the slanted claw style of the power loader. Then, I began to use the structure>extrude tool on the center polygons to raise them up ever so slightly to add further detail and realism. I used these techniques similarly to create further detail as the grip on the 'fingers'.


  • Adding further details, I used various shapes to create the main hands detail, the various extrusions, these were all separate shapes penetrating into the main hand, looking back now, I could of selected the polygons individually and used the extrude tool to do this similarly.


  • Once the claw was complete, I began work on the forearm. This was a collection of a Large rectangle (wrist) and two cylinder shapes to add detail and shape to the forearm. Using bevel and extrude I was able to extrude separate sections of polygons to add further detail. I extrude the polygons on the underside of the elbows cylinder to add the desired shape to the arm. Once this was complete, I then added this shape to the Claw.


  • Carrying on, I began creation of the upper arm. This consisted of one large rectangle and 4 cylinders. The Large rectangle was edited with the Knife tool (one of my favorite tools for modelling) allowing me to create the shape of the upper arm with ease. I then carried on to add detail with the extrude tool, adding detail. I then created a series of various sized cylinders to create the hydraulics to the arm.



Leg:
  • Once the arm had been completed, I began creating the legs, this was very challenging. I began with creating the shoe. This consisted of one large width rectangle, I began to mold the shape with the knife tool to create my desired shape. I then continued to delete specific polygons and then replace them with a single polygon structure>create polygon. I then continued to create the ankle. This was very difficult, as I used I tried to use a single rectangle for this piece, I then added the foot support and detail using the extrusion tool.



Body:

  • Once the leg and arm were completed, I had to make work on the main body and cage. The main part of the body was created using one single cube, with a high polygon count, this was so i could shape the body in detail. Extruding specific areas, I created a very successful replica of the body. Now all that was left for the body was creating the cage to match. This was done by creating a spline in the shape of one half, then using a SWEEP Nurbs with a circle shape to create the cage piping, I then copied this and created another, positioning it in the correct and parallel to the other side.


  • Once the basic shape of the body was created, I began adding further shapes and extrusions to the body. Adding a small cylinder to the top of the body would work as the signal light and an angled bracket to the rear to add further pistons and hydraulics.


Completion:

  • Once all the parts were complete, all I had to do was position them in the correct places and enjoy the final piece.








Final Render





No comments:

Post a Comment